Who is bernie ecclestone dating
Who is bernie ecclestone dating - Sex Chat
"There was a meeting with Bernie, but the contract was done a long time before that."Added Kennett: "I went over there afterwards, once Ron as our agent had secured the event.
"What we offered Bernie, particularly, was a greater audience, but we didn't pay a penny more."It wasn't about money, it was about certainty for the race in Australia." In 1983, Adelaide won the right to stage the F1 Australian GP on a street circuit on the eastern edge of the city from '85 after Melbourne and Sydney rejected approaches from Ecclestone.The Adelaide GP was the popular final round of the F1 world championship until 1995, with the SA government ending its deal a year early, allowing the race to move to Melbourne in '96.Walker confirmed he had a contract with Ecclestone dating back to '83 that would be activated if and when Adelaide failed to renew its agreement."I'd been talking to Bernie for years on the basis that if something went wrong with Adelaide, we'd have first right of refusal," he said."So we drew up a contract to that effect that was held in his safe [for 10 years] and when both sides in SA refused to commit until after their election, that was my opportunity to sign the contract and pay the deposit."Adelaide always did a good job, but it was time to move."Kennett and Walker both laughed off the urban myth that they sealed the Melbourne GP deal in Ecclestone's London office by dumping a bag containing millions of dollars on his desk."It's a great story, but it's not true," Walker said.Former premier Jeff Kennett has dismissed Adelaide's long-standing assertion that Melbourne stole the Formula One Australian Grand Prix and also revealed that his government didn't pay any more to get the race.The Australian GP moved to Melbourne in 1996 amid bitterness across the border in South Australia and controversy over the conversion of the roads around Albert Park Lake into a racetrack.
The impression has been perpetuated that Adelaide was outspent, but Kennett is adamant that his government secured the race for Melbourne because SA politicians had wavered on re-signing with F1 czar Bernie Ecclestone.
Victoria had a secret agreement with Ecclestone to take over the Australian GP if South Australia let it go and by not renewing ahead of a state election, Adelaide lost the event in an agreement signed with Melbourne in early 1993.
In the lead-up to Sunday's F1 season-opening 20th anniversary Melbourne GP at Albert Park, Kennett debunked the myth that he mounted a raid to steal the event after being elected in late 1992."That's absolute bullshit," Kennett declared to Fairfax Media.
"They lost it because neither of their political leaders at the time going into their election was prepared to commit to the event."So we never stole it, they didn't want it. The first contracts we got were based on the contracts in South Australia."It wasn't a money thing.
They created the opening." Kennett also rejected the notion that his new Victorian administration, through the Melbourne Major Events Company run by controversial former Melbourne Lord Mayor and Liberal Party grandee Ron Walker, paid much more than Adelaide."We got it for the same price," he said. Bernie Ecclestone was offended that the people of South Australia, through their elected leaders, had vacillated, were not expressing confidence in his event."It is understood that the F1 sanction fee paid by the Victorian government to stage the Australian GP in '96 was $6 million.
Kennett's claims that Adelaide lost the race to Melbourne due to inattention and not a bigger bid are backed up by Walker, who retired as chairman of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation after last year's event."I can assure you that we didn't pay a penny more than Adelaide," Walker said.